Saturday, April 5, 2014

{Book Review} Grim Edited by Christine Johnson

Grim
Anthology
Edited by Christine Johnson
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Released: March 1st 2014
Genre: Fiction- YA: Fairytale Retellings
How I got it: NetGalley

Step into a world of dark and twisted fairy tales, with stories by Julie Kagawa, Amanda Hocking and more...

In the days when fairy tales were first spun, they weren’t the sweet and cheerful stories we tell today. Back then, fairy tales were terrifying. They were a warning to the listener to stay out of the night, to keep away from the mystical and ignore the mysterious. Prepare to open a treasure box of the unusual and the macabre.

Grim features some of today’s best young adult authors, sharing their own, unique retellings of classic fairy tales from around the world. These talented writers, many of them New York Times bestsellers or award-winners, put their own spin on these magical worlds.

Review: I love fairy tales and fairy tale retellings, I find it interesting how modern authors spin and twist the classic tales. I've read The Grim Brothers and Anderson's works, I've dug up a ton of obscure tales and while the retellings in the book are good some left me unsettled.
Don't get me wrong the book is good and the tales are really something but a few just didn't work for me. A couple made me cringe and one made me wish I could bleach my brain. I know the original tales feature all the things these do. Yet I felt unsettled that this was a YA book and it had topics such as incest in it. Yes I know several tales on Grim's had the topic of father / daughter and the author did it in a way that did not promote it and the girl does get revenge at the end. Still I wanted to bleach my brain. I also felt this way after reading the tale of what I can only describe as a futuristic Pinocchio.
Some tales I easily put together with there classic counter parts others it took a little brain work and some I don't think had one. The tales ran the gambit from classic reproductions in story tale format to futuristic compilations with no fairy tale aspect that I could see. I have to admit my favorite tale in the book is Sharper than the Serpents Tongue it's about two sisters, while this does skirt on the edge of the unseemly I liked the moral of the story in what some may see as a curse others see as a blessing and sometimes the reverse is true.
Over all I have to say this is a hit or miss as most anthologies are for me. Some tales I really liked others not so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Just a heads up I moderate my comments, sorry for any inconvenience.