Wednesday, April 9, 2014

{Book Review} Living Dead Girl by Nessie Strange

Living Dead Girl
by Nessie Strange
Publisher: Etopia Press
Released: January 17th 2014
Genre: Fiction- New Adult: Urban Fantasy, romance aspects, paranormal
How I got I: Received a copy from the author via Bewitching Book Tours


Jen MacLellan has hit a dead end…

Jen knows tattooed, blue-haired Jack Norris is trouble the minute he opens his front door. And being a mortician in the avante garde East Side of Providence, Jen has seen a lot. Jack has recruited Jen’s teenage brother Drew to play drums for his less-than-respectable punk band, and Jen has no choice but to follow their gigs to keep her little brother out of trouble. But when Drew goes missing, she finds herself in the awkward position of asking for Jack’s help. Shocked that he agrees, Jen decides she may have misjudged him. Worse, she might even like him.

But when Jen is brutally attacked, she awakens in the hospital where a Sid Vicious look-alike greets her with the news: she’s dead, and he’s the reaper assigned to take her away. Yeah, not so much. Refusing to leave, Jen’s spirit watches helplessly as her loved ones suffer, powerless to ease her family’s grief or prevent the police from accusing Jack of her murder. Desperate to help them, Jen convinces the reaper to bring her back. But reanimating corpses isn’t as easy as it looks, and neither is finding a killer before it’s too late…

Review: I really wasn't expecting what I got with this book. With the blurb I thought the whole Drew missing thing would be more, and their looking for him would form this bond. I also kind of thought Jen would get hurt while looking for him, and this would all take place early in the book. Yeah no.
So here's the run down folks, Jen is a mortician as well as witty, stubborn yet loving daughter, bossy big sister and has a bit of a temper. Jack is a punk rock musician with a heart of gold. The beginning of the book plays out like your standard romance. Girl meets guy, girl not crazy about guy, girl warms up to guy, and they fall in love. I actually really liked this, granted I kept wondering when the zombie thing was going to happen but hey that's just me. You got a sense of Jack and Jen, I came to really like and care about the characters. Then bam!
We change to the paranormal romance genre and girl gets killed by guys crazy stalker. And it's like I was beginning another book with the same characters, but not. Jen's devotion to her friends, family and Jack drive her to make a deal with the Grim Reaper Sam. He puts her back in her body. Now as a mortician she should know this is a very bad idea, but to hell with it. At this point Jen's character has some major changes in the morality department. I kinda had a hard time reconciling the Jen from earlier in the book with the Zombie Jen. I have to admit by the end of the book I was wishing Ms Strange had just stopped earlier and given us a standard HEA. Yet over all the writing was well done and it was a new take on a brow beaten topic. If your looking for something outside the same old, same old give it a shot.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Just a heads up I moderate my comments, sorry for any inconvenience.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...