Friday, April 18, 2014

{Book Review} The Medea Complex by Rachel Florence Roberts

The Medea Complex
by Rachel Florence Roberts
Publisher: Tista
Released: October 31st 2013
Genre: Fiction- Adult: Historical, Physiological thriller
How I got it: Received a copy from the author

***BASED ON A TRUE STORY***

Anne wakes up in a strange bed, having been kidnapped from her home. Slowly, she realizes she is in a lunatic asylum.

1885. Anne Stanbury – Committed to a lunatic asylum, having been deemed insane and therefore unfit to stand trial for the crime of which she is indicted. But is all as it seems?
Edgar Stanbury – the grieving husband and father who is torn between helping his confined wife recover her sanity, and seeking revenge on the woman who ruined his life.
Dr George Savage – the well respected psychiatrist, and chief medical officer of Bethlem Royal Hospital. Ultimately, he holds Anne’s future wholly in his hands.
The Medea Complex tells the story of a misunderstood woman suffering from insanity in an era when mental illnesses’ were all too often misdiagnosed and mistreated. A deep and riveting psychological thriller set within an historical context, packed full of twists and turns, The Medea Complex explores the nature of the human psyche: what possesses us, drives us, and how love, passion, and hope for the future can drive us to insanity.

Review: This is the story of a mother's love and the length we will go to protect those we love. I found the book sad and interesting in a morbid way.  I'm not usually one for historical settings, but I also have an interest in asylums from the eighteen and nineteen hundreds. I find their lack of understanding of the human mind unsettling and fascinating.
I thought Anne's treatment to be mild compared to some accounts I have read. I felt for Anne as she endured her time at the asylum and then ultimately felt betrayed by her at the end of the book. While part of me can understand the love of ones child and lengths you would go to protect them, I felt this was a bit much. I had to wonder what part of this book was the real story and what part was fabricated. I truly felt bad for Edgar as he was torn, he really loved Anne and yet hated her for what she did. While he did have less than reputable reasons for marrying Anne, I didn't feel he deserved his punishment.
As far as the plot it had me until Anne was released, then it just went downhill. I found the change in everything not a good twist, but rather deceiving. As stated before I felt betrayed by Anne's character and deceived by the portrayal of Edgar. Although to feel this level of emotion I had to care for the characters, so I have to give props to Ms Roberts for being able to bring about this emotion for her characters.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Just a heads up I moderate my comments, sorry for any inconvenience.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...