Tuesday, April 29, 2014

{Book Review} The Remaining (The Remaining #1) by D.J. Molles

The Remaining (The Remaining #1)
by D.J. Molles
Publisher: Orbit
Released: January 7th 2014
Genre: Fiction- Adult: Post-Apocalyptic, Zombie
How I got it: NetGalley

In a steel-and-lead-encased bunker 40 feet below the basement level of his house, Captain Lee Harden of the United States Army waits. On the surface, a plague ravages the planet, infecting over 90% of the populace. The bacterium burrows through the brain, destroying all signs of humanity and leaving behind little more than base, prehistoric instincts. The infected turn into hyper-aggressive predators, with an insatiable desire to kill and feed. Some day soon, Captain Harden will have to open the hatch to his bunker, and step out into this new wasteland, to complete his very simple mission: Subvenire Refectus.

To Rescue and Rebuild.

Review: I found this book interesting, but also slightly conflicting. Captain Lee Harden was placed in a bunker under his house as a contingency plan in case the world goes to hell. Well the world went to hell.
The beginning of the book is a bit boring. I felt the build up of him leaving the bunker and his house was a bit over done and utterly anti-climatic.
For me Lee was one of those main characters which I liked but didn't like. I liked his dedication and how he cared for the people he saved yet I also had to wonder at his unwavering commitment to his mission. I had to wonder why one group of survivors was better than another. I mean how did he know, he's been in his freaken bunker so how did he know which group to help. Yes granted we learn he makes the right choices but it bugged me that he basically has all these supplies at his disposable and can pick and choose who he saves. I was kind of surprised he didn't have more of a god complex.
The plot has lots of action, little downtime and decent characters. Although I couldn't really care about them, which is off putting. The sudden cliffhanger ending left me wondering if the book hadn't fully downloaded, but the bio etc put and end to that thought. I think this would have been better in movie form than a book.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Just a heads up I moderate my comments, sorry for any inconvenience.