Friday, April 25, 2014

{Random Rant} Candy Coated Zombies...eww!

Yes the time has finally come for a random rant on you got it zombies. First and fore most what is a zombie?
From the Merriam- Websters Dictionary...

Full Definition of ZOMBIE

1
usually zombi
a :  the supernatural power that according to voodoo belief may enter into and reanimate a dead body
b :  a will-less and speechless human in the West Indies capable only of automatic movement who is held to have died and been supernaturally reanimated
2
a :  a person held to resemble the so-called walking dead; especially :  automaton
b :  a person markedly strange in appearance or behavior
3
:  a mixed drink made of several kinds of rum, liqueur, and fruit juice 
 
In popular fiction (and on this blog) a zombie is a person who dies and by either technological or supernatural means is reanimated.  George A. Romero is usually given homage for the creatorship of this strain of the creature; eg the slow moving, non-intelligent, flesh/brains hungering ghoul. Ok technical ghoul really isn't the right word for these creatures either, but whatever. Anyone who has read this blog for awhile knows I'm a self-proclaimed zombie nut, which means that zombies becoming more mainstream is a bit of a double edged sword. What do I mean? Well here's the deal zombies have replaced the more sexy vamps and werewolves in the fiction world. No heroines aren't smooching them, ok Warm Bodies and Return of the Loving Dead did have zombie smooching, but where I'm going with this is they have taken the media by storm. Granted it's finally petering out, thank goodness. 
Ok I've probably got you utterly confused, why would someone who loves zombies want the zombie craze to end. Here's my problem, every Tom, Dick and Carrie have jumped on the zombie band wagon. And don't get me wrong some of the stuff out there is really good, but some is just so watered down that it doesn't qualify as anything but crap. 
When I buy a horror novel, I want to be scared out of my pants. I don't want drama, romance or whatever
Picture from 123rf.com
genre they picked to toss in and then oh yeah lets add a couple zombies to the mix. Zombie killing first, survival second, and then subplot weather it be romance or whatever. If I want to read a romance with zombies in it, I will go looking for that type of book. There is a difference people! 
Quick example, yes I'm going to self-promote a bit deal with it.
My short  The Survivalistas it's about survival first, zombie killing second and yeah I toss in a little romance. But look at the title THE SURVIVALISTAS it has survival right in there. I'm not candy coating er zombie coating it with promises of lots of zombie killing. Like some people... 
Now I'm totally cool with self-aware, intelligent zombies. I absolutely loved My Life as a White Trash Zombie and Zombies Don't Cry.  Twisting and expanding the zombie "genre" is great. I don't even mind that people are expanding on what a zombie even is. Fast moving, intelligent, undead, living but sick, cannibals, and the list goes on. Yet with the influx of the popularity of zombies I'm left wading through tons of books and movies promising to be scary or spine tingling or to keep me up all night, yet only a rare few can hold up to that promise. Maybe I'm being to picky, or just not able to find the right books. What do you all think? Are zombies to candy coated?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Just a heads up I moderate my comments, sorry for any inconvenience.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...