Thursday, May 1, 2014

{Book Review} Fairy Tale Magic: Unearth & Reclaim the Potent Enchantment of Old World Folk Tales by Kenny Klein, Lauren DeVoe

Fairy Tale Magic: Unearth & Reclaim the Potent Enchantment of Old World Folk Tales
by Kenny Klein, Lauren DeVoe
Publisher: Llewellyn Publications
Released: May 8th 2014
Genre: Non-Fiction- Adult: Fairy tales, magic, wicca
How I got it: NetGalley

Find the secret and hidden elements of magic in the fairy tales of England, France, Russia, and the Baltic. Did you know that Jack and the Beanstalk has themes that relate to the Bible and to the Epic of Gilgamesh? No, really! Faery Tale Magic examines the relationship between fairy tale archetypes and the practice of magic. Each tale is discussed, and an element of the tale is used to illustrate a magical principle. Explore how fairy tales thinly veil magical propositions like polarity, the world tree, the journey to the underworld, day of the week magic, crosses and magic, and much more. Discover the correspondence between the world's best folk traditions and all manner of topics--everything from tarot to runes to magic charms to spells and herbalism.

Review: I really enjoyed this book, as I've said before I'm a fairy tale nut. I found all the information on the tales and the break down of them really educational. I liked learning about the parallels between folk tales and mythology as well as how they differ. I thought the interweaving of tale and religon points was pretty cool. Along with all the points the author made about seasons and nature.
I wasn't impressed with the ritual aspects of the book, but then I don't use ritual work so that's probably why. I did like seeing the connections between the characters and Gods/ Goddesses. I think I was more fascinated with learning about the tales and history than the magic aspect of this book. Still this was very educational.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Just a heads up I moderate my comments, sorry for any inconvenience.