Wednesday, May 14, 2014

{Book Review} Pacific Northwest Foraging: 120 Wild and Flavorful Edibles from Alaska Blueberries to Wild Filberts by Leda Meredith, Douglas Deur

Pacific Northwest Foraging: 120 Wild and Flavorful Edibles from Alaska Blueberries to Wild Hazelnuts
by Leda Meredith, Douglas Deur
Publisher: Timber Press
Released: June 3rd 2014
Genre: Non- Fiction- Adult: Foraging, Nature, Wild- Edibles
How I got it: Received an ARC from NetGalley

The Pacific Northwest is a veritable feast for foragers. The forests, meadows, streambanks, and even the weedy margins of neighborhoods are home to a surprising number of delicious wild edible plants. Douglas Deur, a lifetime Northwest forager, shares his insights and experiences, showing you what to look for, when and where to look, and how to gather in a responsible way. Pacific Northwest Foraging is a hardworking guide packed with detailed information and clear photography for the safe identification of more than 120 wild plants. It also features a seasonal guide for foraging year-round and collecting tips for sustainable harvesting. It is applicable to Oregon, Washington, British Columbia, and southeast Alaska.

Review: While I don't live or hike or even vacation in the Pacific Northwest, I do fine reading about plants interesting. And should I ever go back to visit that area, hopefully it will be longer than a few days and not in a cramped cabover, I would like to have an idea of what plants are what.
I love the vibrant and varied pictures of each plant, showing leaves, roots, or flowers. I really enjoyed how each plant had sections for what the plants look like, where and when to gather, how to gather, how to eat, and future harvests. As well as probably the most important warnings.
I found it interesting how many plants carry over from east to west. Although things like blueberries, black berries, etc weren't all that surprising. Learning all the new plants was fun and educational.
I love having all this information in one package, which can be put in a backpack when hiking or camping.  As you've probably gathered I loved a lot about this book, yet I found the introduction a bit long winded. Yeah it had interesting antidotes and tidbits, but I kind of just wanted to get to the plants.
Over all lots of great information in a concise package.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Just a heads up I moderate my comments, sorry for any inconvenience.