{Book Review} Murder Strikes a Pose (A Downward Dog Mystery #1) by Tracy Weber

Murder Strikes a Pose (A Downward Dog Mystery #1)
by Tracy Weber
Publisher: Midnight Ink
Released: January 8th 2014
Genre: Fiction- Adult: Amateur sleuth, mystery
How I got it: Received a copy from the author via Partners in Crime Tours

Yoga instructor Kate Davidson tries to live up to yoga's Zen-like expectations, but it's not easy while struggling to keep her small business afloat or dodging her best friend's matchmaking efforts.

When George, a homeless alcoholic, and his loud, horse-sized German shepherd, Bella, start hawking newspapers outside her studio, Kate attempts to convince them to leave. Instead, the three strike up an unlikely friendship.

Then Kate finds George's dead body. The police dismiss it as a drug-related street crime, but Kate knows he was no drug dealer. Now she must solve George's murder and find someone willing to adopt his intimidating companion before Bella is sent to the big dog park in the sky. With the murderer on her trail, Kate has to work fast or her next Corpse Pose may be for real.

Review: The first thing that caught my attention was the cover, it's actually cute unlike many mystery novels. This really works for the book, as it's a fun read. I'm not usually one for amateur sleuth books, but I just couldn't help myself with this one.
Kate makes friends with a homeless man named George who sells papers outside her yoga studio and his intimidating yet sweet German shepherd Bella. When Kate finds George dead behind her studio, she feels guilty and wants to find whoever did this to the down on his luck guy. Kate takes in Bella, vowing to find her a good home.
I really liked Kate, she was spunky and witty, even though she tried really hard to act tough she was a real softy. While I've never actually met a yogi, even though I love yoga, I wouldn't think Kate has the whole zen thing down yet. The plot balances Kate' s life, her search to find Bella a good home and figuring out who killed George. I felt the murder mystery kind of took a backseat, to Kate's life and her search, but little clues kept being dropped the more she tried to help Bella. I had an inkling of who the murderer was, early in the book but figured it out for sure just a few chapters before Kate. I enjoyed reading Kate's exploits and her interactions with other characters. I found how her relationship with Bella grew to be heartwarming and fun.
Granted I did find myself fustrated with her investigation skills, but I also found myself smiling and cheering her on.
If you're looking for something a bit out of the ordinary with a little romance, lots of mystery and a sweet if ornery German shepherd then definitely check this one out. I know I'll be watching for book 2 in this series.




Comments

  1. I know quite a few readers who will go for "a sweet if ornery German shepherd"! Thanks so much for sharing your review of this 1st in series mystery with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for hosting Murder Strikes a Pose on Mama Knows Books! I'm so glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lance, Awesome! Please make sure to share Murder Strikes a Pose with those readers.
    Tracy You are very welcome! I can't wait for the next book in the series.:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Just a heads up I moderate my comments, sorry for any inconvenience.