Thursday, August 21, 2014

{Book Review} Zomburbia by Adam J. Gallardo

Zomburbia
by Adam J. Gallardo
Publisher: K-Teen
Released: August 26th 2014
Genre: Fiction- YA: Horror, Zombies, Post-Apocolyptic
How I got it: Netgalley

My name is Courtney Hart, and I'm here to tell you about things that suck. Being born in a podunk town like Salem, Oregon, for one. Living in a world infested with zombies? That, too. And the meat heads I go to school with? I think I'd actually take the undead over them most days. But I have a plan to get out of here and move to New York. I just have to keep selling Vitamin Z along with your fries at The Bully Burger. The secret ingredient? Zombie brains.

I've noticed things are getting even worse lately, if that's even possible. The zombies seem to be getting smarter and faster. If I can avoid being arrested, eaten by shufflers, or catching the eye of some stupid boy, I should be able to make it through finals week still breathing. .

Review: Courtney is semi-normal for a teenage anyway. She goes to school, works at a local burger joint, has a very weird relationship with her friends. Yet she also sells Vitamin Z, a drug made from zombie brains and lives in a world where zombies are the norm. I thought this book had a lot of layers, for a zombie novel. It's post zombie apocalypse, cities are off limits due to high numbers of zombies and people have moved out to the suburbs. For the most part things are fairly normal, kids go to school (although the school looks more like a prison), people hold down jobs (fenced in and with security guard to keep the zombies at bay), kids still get into trouble and do things they shouldn't.
Courtney is not a good role-model in any sense of the word. For one she sells drugs, granted she does this for college money but still it's drugs made from zombie brains. She does a lot of stupid things and just continues to dig herself into a deeper and deeper hole. As a character she likeable enough, but I couldn't feel sympathy for her on somethings. Her poor me act got under my skin, especially when she got herself into the situations in the first place. Under all the outward angst and general teen crap, there was a strong young woman and as the plot progressed we did get to see more and more of her.
I felt that the author was trying to deliver a message with this book, and whether or not he was I don't know but what I took away is no matter how far down you fall you can always get back up. Courtney lost a lot in this book and sadly that's what it took for her to get her life together. It also showed that her poor decisions effected not only her but everyone around her.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Just a heads up I moderate my comments, sorry for any inconvenience.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...