Wednesday, September 17, 2014

{Book Review} Uncontrollable (The Nature of Grace #2) by S.R. Johannes

Uncontrollable (The Nature of Grace #2)
by S.R. Johannes
Publisher: Coleman & Stott
Released:September 24th 2012
Genre: Fiction- YA: Suspense
How I got it: Received a copy from the author

As Grace recovers from tragedy, her science class is chosen by Agent Sweeney at the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service to help with research on the new "Red Wolf Reintroduction Program".

While she’s excited about helping with the conservation of the endangered wolves, Grace knows this means being outdoors in the worst winter recorded, in a place she no longer feels comfortable. It also means working closely with Wyn (her ex) and his annoying girlfriend (Skyler), a girl whose idea of getting close to nature is picking silk plants and growing fake plants.

After a couple of wolves show up dead, Grace almost quits. However, when a fellow project team member goes missing, Grace continues the assignment under a renewed suspicion that someone might be sabotaging the conservation program. She quietly begins to hunt for clues.

Little does she know, she is being hunted too.

Review: This picks up several months after Untraceable. Grace is understandably traumatized from her ordeal and slowly getting her life back together. When she's picked to help research the new "Red Wolf Reintroduction Program" by Agent Sweeney she is excited and also wary. Grouped with Wyn, her ex, and Skyler, his new girlfriend, she must go out in the worst winter on record to gather information. When wolves start dieing, Grace almost gives up but her dedication to the project and renewing her life gets her right back out there in the thick of it.
While I liked Grace, she seemed overly cautious in this book and it made her feel less confident than she was in the first book. I understood why this was, but it also took something from the character. Her conflicted emotions over Wyn, bugged the hell out of me. He irked me as well, I mean he has a girlfriend yet he's willing to make out with Grace in a snow shelter. Makes me wonder about him, especially after how he's treated Grace. I guess it boils down to I just didn't like him.
The plot is fast paced, with lots of twists and turns as well as heart pounding action. Grace's survival skills are put to the test, multiple times. I have to admit this did push my limits of suspending disbelief because I couldn't imagine responsible adults putting teens in the dangers that occurred in the book, but I rolled with it. I was actually surprised by the outcome at the end and who was behind everything. While I had an inkling of who it was, Ms Johannes was able to twist the clues so things were never quite what they seemed. Over all this was a good read and follow up to the first book.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Just a heads up I moderate my comments, sorry for any inconvenience.