Friday, October 3, 2014

Cemetery Walks- Lakeview, Sackets Harbor NY

Today we visited Lakeview Cemetery which is small cemetery in Sackets Harbor. I was actually disappointed with it, given how Sackets is all about history I expected older stones.Sackets Harbor was a Navy Yard, and barracks which is still in use, during the War of 1812. So I was thinking there would be a lot of military headstones. I guess this was a newer cemetery, because we didn't see any stones older than the mid 1800. There is another cemetery in Sackets so we might go check that out some other time.



It looked like a lot of the old head stones were being replaced, as many of the really old stones were broken. While we were there some men were actually fixing and moving head stones. I found this a little annoying because we couldn't go into that section of the cemetery.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Just a heads up I moderate my comments, sorry for any inconvenience.