Tuesday, December 30, 2014

{Book Review} Ostara: Rituals, Recipes & Lore for the Spring Equinox by Llewellyn Publications, Kerri Connor

Ostara: Rituals, Recipes & Lore for the Spring Equinox
by Llewellyn Publications, Kerri Connor
Publisher: Llewellyn Publications
Release: January 8th 2015
Genre: Non-Fiction-Adult: Wiccan, Ritual, Sabbatt
How I got it:NetGalley

Llewellyn's Sabbat Essentials series explores the old and new ways of celebrating the seasonal rites that are the cornerstones in the witch's year. A well-rounded introduction to Ostara, this attractive book features rituals, recipes, lore, and correspondences. It includes hands-on information for modern celebrations, spells and divination, recipes and crafts, invocations and prayers, and more! Ostara--also known as the Spring Equinox--is a time of renewal, a time to plant seeds as the earth once again comes to life. This guide to the history and modern celebration of Ostara shows you how to perform rituals and work magic to energize yourself and renew the power and passion to live and grow.

Review: I've always liked Spring, it my second favorite season.  Easter and it's origins have always made me curious. I mean serious what do rabbits, chicks, eggs and whatnot have to do with the reincarnation of Christ. This book gives readers a look at the history of the sabbat Ostara as well as the Spring Equinox. It explains why we use rabbits, chicks, eggs and flowers etc to celebrate this time of years. Along with the basics about the Wheel of the Year and an overview of the season, sabbats and history in general.
I really liked all the fun stuff included in here, as a DIY lady I loved the crafts and ways to inculde the kids in the practice. The recipes left me hungry and I cant wait to try some out.  The spells offered reflect spring and regrowth, re-invigoration, etc. I found the rituals to be interesting, and offers things I could incorporate into my own practice. I loved the garden blessings. Some of these spells and rituals could be used anytime not just in the spring. Now yes this is kind of basic and would be a great book for beginners or a fun addition to any library.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Just a heads up I moderate my comments, sorry for any inconvenience.