Tuesday, January 6, 2015

{Book Review} Haunted Northern New York: True, Chilling Tales of Ghosts in the North Country by Cheri Revai

Haunted Northern New York: True, Chilling Tales of Ghosts in the North Country
by Cheri Revai
Publisher: North Country Books
Released: May 1, 2002
Genre: Non-Fiction- Adult: Paranormal, true stories
How I got it: Bought it

Fascinating and well researched, this collection of spine-tingling accounts of paranormal phenomena focuses on the restless spirits that haunt Upstate New York s rustic and weathered region known as the North Country. But perhaps what makes these stories so chilling is that each one of them is factual! The haunted sites covered in this book range from centuries-old mansions to mobile homes, and even commercial establishments such as bars, diners, and fraternity houses. The results of Revai's research show us that every haunting is unique in its own style and characteristics, although certain similarities exists between each. Gerina Dunwich, Occult author.

Review: In full disclosure I actually got my first copy of this book by winning a signed copy when it first came out on a local radio station. That copy was stolen by a "friend" and is the reason I now only loan out books I don't really care if they come back or not. My wonderful hubby bought me another copy for Christmas because he knew that having an incomplete set was driving me nuts. Yes, I'm weird like that.
The reason I really like this series is...well I have grown up and spent my life in the North Country. When you grow up in a place you hear the stories. Don't go down this road at night because of the ghost hitchhiker or what not. I mean New York has a lot of history, so it's only logical that it has its share of ghosts stories.
The book is pack full of interesting tales of the paranormal all in places that I've either visited, know of, or at least heard of. Ms Revai's done her research and I really love all the local history scattered through the book. Although many of the stories are first hand accounts or retelling from memory which can always be suspect.
 My only complaint with the book is the pictures. The majority of them are just Pareidolia. Some I felt were just grasping at straws all together, having gotten similar photos depending on my lighting and surroundings.
Still it's a good book filled with spooky tales and I'm happy to have gotten a new copy.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Just a heads up I moderate my comments, sorry for any inconvenience.