Thursday, January 15, 2015

{Book Review} A Taste of Upstate New York: The People and the Stories Behind 40 Food Favorites by Chuck D'imperio

A Taste of Upstate New York: The People and the Stories Behind 40 Food Favorites
by Chuck D'imperio
Publisher: Syracuse University Press
Released: April 20th 2015
Genre: Non-Fiction- N/A: Food
How I got it: NetGalley

Upstate New York is the birthplace of many of America's favorite food treats. The chicken wing was born in a bar in Buffalo, the potato chip was born in the kitchen of a ritzy hotel in Saratoga Springs, the salt potato got its start along the marshy shores of a Syracuse Lake and Thousand Island Dressing was born in a hotel along the St. Lawrence Seaway. Add to these items black dirt onions, chicken riggies, pink striped cookies, sponge candy, spiedies and the ice cream sundae and many more. This book also introduces the reader to the human faces behind these edible legends. Their stories are inspiring and fun! Each of the 40 plus chapters includes restaurant directions, photographs and other pertinent information to make your self-guided "all you can eat" tour around Upstate New York a sumptuous journey for sure.

Review: Any one who's read this blog knows I live in Northern NY so this book was perfect for me. I loved learning about all the foods that were created in Upstate NY. I drove my Hubby crazy going, "did you know...?" LOL! While I actually did know the history of Thousand Island Dressing because I live about 45 minutes from the area, I was never a hundred percent sure of all the ingredients beyond ketchup and mayo. So that was pretty cool to learn. There were many of these food that I had never heard of even though we live within driving of most the locations. Some of my favorite foods like hamburgers and chicken wings came from locations I know, which in my mind is awesome. I have to admit I had to stop reading to get a snack because lets face it all this food reading made me wicked hungry.
I loved this book, all the history and interviews were wonderfully done. I felt it was well researched and I enjoyed the way the book was laid out, each chapter offering a region of Upstate NY. I feel Mr D'imperio did a wonderful job with this book and if you didn't catch it earlier I really enjoyed it, even if it did make me crave wings and a burger.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Just a heads up I moderate my comments, sorry for any inconvenience.