Friday, February 20, 2015

{Book Review} Beltane: Rituals, Recipes & Lore for May Day by Llewellyn Publications, Melanie Marquis

Beltane: Rituals, Recipes & Lore for May Day
by Llewellyn Publications, Melanie Marquis
Publisher: Llewellyn Publications
Release: March 1st 2015
Genre: Non-Fiction- Adult: Wiccan, new-age, ritual, Sabbatts
How I got it: NetGalley

Easy reference guide to one of the main Pagan festivals - perfect for all witches and Pagans.

Review: This is another of Llewellyn's Sabbat Essentials series and focuses on you guessed it Beltane or May Day. If you are already familiar with the Wheel of the Year do yourself a favor and skip the intro. The information in the introduction is for new comers to Pagan festivals and is basically a rehash for anyone who is already knowledgeable. I didn't feel it detracted from the book, just was stuff I was already familiar with. For someone new to these festivals it would be educational. 
I liked how everything was broken down, giving the reader a history of Beltane along with how it is celebrated in the newer Neo-Pagan religions. I thought the way Ms Marquis differentiated how a urban Pagan might celebrate verse how someone who lives in the rural area would celebrate, was very interesting. Living in a rural area, yet in a small space myself I found both variations of rituals useful. I liked the DIY crafts offered, along with the recipes. Although I noticed there was quite a bit centered on sex in the book, which is fine because Beltane is in the Spring and it's a time of mating, but I could have taken or left it. I wasn't crazy about the Divination or Spells section, although a few spells sounded useful.
Over all I feel it was more directed to folks who are new to the Pagan religions and still trying to figure everything out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Just a heads up I moderate my comments, sorry for any inconvenience.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...