Thursday, March 12, 2015

{Book Review} The Jefferson County Egan Murders: Nightmare on New Year's Eve 1964 by Dave Shampine, Daniel Boyer

The Jefferson County Egan Murders: Nightmare on New Year's Eve 1964
by Dave Shampine, Daniel Boyer
Publisher: History Press
Release:October 14th 2014
Genre: Non-Fiction- Adult: True Crime
How I got it: Received a copy from publisher

The names Peter, Barbara Ann and Gerald Egan were familiar to Watertown police before December 31, 1964. The police suspected the trio in a long string of burglaries, and they were under investigation by the FBI for grand theft auto. But on that New Year's night, the Egans were shot execution style at a rest stop off Interstate 81. The gruesome gangland-style killings puzzled local and state police. Theories ranged from a simple confrontation gone awry to a premeditated act of retribution by hardened criminals who feared the Egans would turn state's witness. With interviews from key witnesses, authors Dave Shampine and Daniel Boyer recount the grisly story of this New Year's Eve North Country nightmare, which is still shrouded in mystery today.

Review: I enjoy true crime, and learning about a case so close to home was very interesting. I've lived in the Watertown area all my life and had never heard of this case.
Peter, Barbara Ann and Gerald Egan were found dead in their car off Interstate 81. The case puzzled law enforcement and was never really solved.
While reading this I had family and co-workers coming up saying I remember that. Apparently my in-laws had family who were involved in the case. My father-law's father worked on the case as a state trooper and apparently my mother-in-laws family knew something as well. Barbara Ann was from the same area as my mother's family and went to the school next to the one my mother and her siblings went to.
Living and knowing the area this took place in made the book even more irresistible for me.
I found this to be an engaging and interesting read. Not only did I think it was well researched, I thought it did a great job outlining and describing the case. Even though this was true crime I found myself wondering who did it, why and reading to figure it out. I did feel the author added his own opinion heavily to the book. Yet it was wonderfully written and enjoyable to read about a historic moment in Jefferson County history that I hadn't known about.


1 comment:

  1. I like true crime books also. This case rings a bell. I'm wondering if I saw it on a crime show like ID.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Just a heads up I moderate my comments, sorry for any inconvenience.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...