Journal #34 - Feeling Discouraged

So I've been doing this since about March, and lifting weights since mid July. I've seen results, more definition and I can lift more than when I started. Granted I'm no where close to where I want to be, but that's because of all sorts of things, beyond my control right now.
Yesterday DK and I were talking about a girl at work who has started exercising after having a gastric bypass. He said she was wasting her money on protein drinks if she wasn't lifting heavy, which I agree but also think it has more to do with her new diet... anyway not the point. In the next breath he says that I don't lift heavy enough. I know this. I know I can lift heavier weights... especially in the squats area. But I do not have the equipment to lift as heavy as I'd like. I don't have a squat rack, I don't even have a couple saw horses to use. I have a bench but not the room to use it. I don't even have a spotter. I'm using free weights in every sense of the words here. In order to keep myself safe and not hurt myself I have to use lighter weights. It's a safety issue. Yesterday I accidently put 65lbs on the bar to squat, I got it up on my shoulders with some effort, did my set and then couldn't get it back down. I had to sit on the couch and let it roll down my back. The squats themselves were fairly easy, my legs are strong, it's my arms I worry about.
DK is willing to critique my workout, yet not willing to actually help me.

Comments