{DIY} Homemade Pumpkin Puree

I've always wondered how to use pumpkin fresh from the garden, this year we got exactly 4 small pumpkins from our plants. I decided I wanted to try something different and looked up how to make pumpkin puree. It was surprisingly easier than I thought it would be.


First preheat oven to 350. Then take your pumpkin wash it off and slice off the top like so...



Then cut it in half...


Remove the seed, that's kind of a no-brainer right. If you have kids let them do this as it's goopy and kids love the goopy stuff. Set the seeds aside and we'll roast them later.


Now cut the halves into smaller sections and put them on a cookie sheet.


Place in the oven for around 45 mins to an hour @ 350 degrees. Basically you want to be able to mush them. It'll be a nice golden color and the skin will peel off fairly easily. 


Remove the skin and place all the orange goodness in a bowl. If you have a blender or food processor it'll make your work a lot easier, but mine broke so I had to use a potato masher. This is a arm workout and a half, I wouldn't recommend it unless you have to. As you can see it doesn't puree quite as well as if it had gone through a processor.  Anyway my 1 small pumpkin yielded 2 cups of puree.  



While the pumpkins were cooking I cleaned the seeds, tossed them with salt and butter then put 'um in along with pumpkin, letting them roast. 


Yummy Roast Pumpkin Seeds!

So that's it really easy and simple to make your own pumpkin puree for muffins, bread, or pie. This was just enough to make some pumpkin zucchini muffins. Two of the other pumpkins were carved into jack-o-lanterns by the kids. The third is sitting on the porch not sure if I'm going to do something with it or not, as I'm not sure it was ripe when the vine died, but the cold is keeping it from rotting so we'll see.


Kid's jack-o-lanterns

Comments