{Recipe} Apple Oatmeal Muffins

So I have a bunch of apples that I got from picking apples next door at DK grandma's. They've been sitting in the crisper and I finally got sick of it, making not only these but the apple crisp. The last batch of apple muffins I made were a huge disaster, they were bland and ugh. I realized later that I used a diabetic recipe...whoops. I found this recipe on MarthaStewart.com of course I add my own take. Only thing is the crumble topping didn't turn out on mine, leaving flour all over the top. Still they taste good.




Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup quick-cooking oats
2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon coarse salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 allspice
3/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 stick unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1/2 cup whole milk
2 apples, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice (1 1/4 cups)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a standard 12-cup muffin tin with baking cups. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, oats, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. In a separate bowl, whisk together sugar, eggs, butter, and milk. Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients, then stir in apple.
Divide batter evenly between muffin cups, adding a scant 1/4 cup to each. Sprinkle with crumb topping if desired. Bake until tops spring back when lightly touched, about 20 minutes. Cool in pans 5 minutes, then remove to wire rack to cool completely.


Crumb Topping (optional)
Ingredients:
1/2 cup quick cooking oats
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
1/4 cup packed dark or light brown sugar
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

Directions:
Whisk together oats, flour, sugar, and salt. Stir in butter until clumpy.

Make 18 servings @ 250 calories

Comments