Sunday, November 8, 2015

Why can't I do both?

I like running. There I said it, coming from the girl who wouldn't run the mile in gym and if the teacher said
laps she hung back at the end of the line huffing and puffing. I didn't even like playing tag or any other game that required chasing, yet now I will make time to get on the treadmill and run. I also like lifting. There's just something about pushing myself to lift heavy weight and challenge myself. Here's the thing when reading or communicating on BodySpace I feel that cardio is taboo. You can only do the base amount to keep you health, because anymore and you'll start burning muscle. This is total BS, but it's how it feels when you mention cardio on the forums. Flip side if you're a runner all you should do is the minimum weight lifting to keep your body in shape. So I feel like I'm standing on some imaginary line trying to figure out am I runner or a weight lifter. What do I do, limit running or limit weight lifting? Where is the middle ground folks? Why can't I do both?
Well I can. I mean there's no hard and fast rule that says I can't enjoy running and weightlifting. From what I've read what I'm doing right now is good for both. I try to run twice a week for 30 - 40 minutes and weight lift 2-3 times a week for about 30 minutes with lowish weights for highish reps. Ok I tend to vary my weight load and reps, if I'm feeling ambitious I'll do heavy weights, if not then lower weights.
But the thing is these two really go hand in hand, in order to run faster and longer you need strength and endurance which you can get by weight lifting. Running is great cardio which is good for your heart. While the actual exercises you "need" to do for running vary from article to article the basic gist is strengthen your legs, core and even upper body. Yup the whole package will make you a better runner. So I've decided to shake up my goals, yeah again, and came up with this workout.

Jump Squats
Barbell Squats
Stiff Leg Barbell Good Morning
Barbell Deadlift
Barbell Curl
Standing Overhead Tricep Extension
Standing Military Press
Bottoms Up
Russian Twist

Most these exercises are compound exercises which means they hit more than just one muscle. Personally I like compound exercises as that means I get more bang for my buck. I haven't decided how many sets or reps I'm going to be doing, probably as many as I can pull off before fatigue hits. Anyway I'm going to keep working to find what works for me and my goals even as they change.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Just a heads up I moderate my comments, sorry for any inconvenience.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...