Thursday, March 17, 2016

{Book Review} The Devil's Serenade by Catherine Cavendish

The Devil's Serenade
by Catherine Cavendish
Publisher: Samhain Publishing
Release: April 19th 2016
Genre: Fiction- Adult: Paranormal
How I got it: NetGalley

Maddie had forgotten that cursed summer. Now she’s about to remember…

“Madeleine Chambers of Hargest House” has a certain grandeur to it. But as Maddie enters the Gothic mansion she inherited from her aunt, she wonders if its walls remember what she’s blocked out of the summer she turned sixteen.

She’s barely settled in before a series of bizarre events drive her to question her sanity. Aunt Charlotte’s favorite song shouldn’t echo down the halls. The roots of a faraway willow shouldn’t reach into the cellar. And there definitely shouldn’t be a child skipping from room to room.

As the barriers in her mind begin to crumble, Maddie recalls the long-ago summer she looked into the face of evil. Now, she faces something worse. The mansion’s long-dead builder, who has unfinished business—and a demon that hungers for her very soul.

Review:
Ms Cavendish weaves a mysterious and spine tingling tale.
Maddie inherits a grand mansion and fortune from her estranged Aunt Charlotte. While she has many good memories of staying with her Aunt during the summers, she can't remember what happened during her last visit. The surrounding town has many stories and gossip about Aunt Charlotte and the mansions previous owner. As Maddie make Hargest House her own she uncovers mysteries. The longer she resides at the mansion the stranger things become.
This is not your basic haunted house story. At first I wasn't to crazy about Maddie, I'm use to strong heroines who take the bull by the horns so to speak, but as I warm up to her I realized she was real. Her reactions to the occurrences were real, what a normal person would do. I liked that she came across as a real person. The plot moved along well. The mystery of what was going kept me reading. I kept guess at who the children were, but the truth couldn't have been more of a surprise. I found the whole good vs evil concept well and uniquely done. I have to admit this was something I hadn't seen before.
The only thing that bugged me, was I felt the ending was unsatisfactory. I just didn't like it, and felt maybe it could have been done differently. I don't want to get to into as I don't want to give anything away but I needed to mention that.
Overall a good character and good plot, if you like paranormal mysteries give it a shot.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for your kind review,Shandy Jo. Much appreciated. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Just a heads up I moderate my comments, sorry for any inconvenience.