Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Recommended Listening for Workouts



I don't know about you all, but I have to have something to listen to while working out. I need it to help me get in the zone and tune out TVs, Kids, Hubby etc. Here are a few of my favorite things to play while running, lifting etc.

For me audiobooks are a cardio thing. I can't focus on the story when trying to do other types of exercise.

Audiobooks:
PodioBooks: This site has a very small catalogue but some great and little known authors. The quality varies and the books are posted in a serial fashion. Not always one chapter either. Most the book are complete but some may still be in the process of being read and uploaded.

Loyal Books: The books on this site are mostly public domain and read by volunteers. It boasts having over 7000 free audio books. If you find you enjoy what they offer they have a free app that allows you to access their catalogue on your phone or other device.


When it comes to music I'm a fairly eclectic I can listen to anything from Ke$ha (don't judge) to Beethoven even j-pop depending on my mood. I really enjoy music. I'll dance around the house when cleaning, I use it to focus when writing and energize my workouts. So here are a few of my favorite places to get free music.

Good For Cardio:
Podrunner: Is a podcast but also available for download from the website. It's created by dj Steve Boyett. The music is done in BPMs (beats per minute) so you can pick the speed that is best for you. Mr Boyett also has intervals, and a program for helping you hit 5k, 8k, or a 10k.

Workouts and Running:
Pandora: Has several stations for workouts. Personally I like the Pop Fitness for running and Classic Rock Power Workout.

Spotify: I like Spotify because it's more personalized than Pandora. On Spotify you create playlists of the songs and artists you want to listen to. I can create an upbeat playlist to run to and not have to worry about one of the song suddenly dropping in BPMs. While with the free mobile version the playlists are shuffled, so you can't play a list in order, but as long as you have fast beat songs or the type of music you want to hear it's not a huge problem.


I used to listen to a lot of book and paranormal related podcasts but most of those have lost interest in posting or tend to have the same people on over and over. Here are a couple I still listen to and enjoy.

Podcasts:
Darkness Radio: Anymore this show is hit or miss, but I love when they have the authors come on to talk about their books. They do a lot of paranormal, (real ghost stories, cryptozoology, UFO's) and true crime.

True Murder: Every week host Dan Zupansky interviews authors that have written about the most shocking killers of all time. I tend to cherry pick shows from here but enjoy listening to the authors talk about their books. If you like reading true crime then check out this podcast. Warning he does tend to have technical difficulties quite a bit which can be annoying.

Serial: This is a biweekly podcast the takes on one story investigating it thoroughly and very in depth. Currently they are taking on the Bowe Bergdahl story that has been in the news.

I only have one app that I listen to on my phone that is strictly for running.

Apps:
Zombies Run:  I love this app. It's a game not just straight up running. You are Runner 5 and have to complete missions for your base. It's not continuous but interrupts whatever you're listening to to keep you updated on the mission status. It's a great way to keep you motivated while running.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Just a heads up I moderate my comments, sorry for any inconvenience.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...