Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Should I or shouldn't I workout while sick?


Having two school aged kids and working in a factory where everyone handles everything lead to me catching stuff more often than not. Even with working out semi- regularly, eating right and using a butt ton of hand sanitizer. The big problem with getting sick is it throws me off. I tend to listen to my body especially when sick. If it says I need to veg on the couch and binge watch episodes of The Walking Dead and Jessica Jone or read the newest Molly Harper book with a box of tissues, who am I to argue. But is that the right decision, am I just giving into my bodies laziness? Would getting off my duff help or hinder recovery? My most recent bout with a cold led me to ask these question so to Google...
For my answers, because the internet is always right. (insert eye roll)
But seriously the consensus depends on who you talk to overall most of the experts agree to the "neck check".
"A neck check is a way to determine your level of activity during a respiratory illness," adds Neil Schachter, MD, medical director of respiratory care at Mount Sinai Medical Center in New York. "If your symptoms are above the neck, including a sore throat, nasal congestion, sneezing, and tearing eyes, then it's OK to exercise," he says. "If your symptoms are below the neck, such as coughing, body aches, fever, and fatigue, then it's time to hang up the running shoes until these symptoms subside." Quoted from Webmd

From my research I found that low to moderate workouts when you have a cold can actually boost your immune system. Yet when you have the flu or stomach bug could do more harm than good. Doing strenuous exercise of any kind could exacerbate the illness, making you sick longer. Basically this makes sense, my body is fighting off whatever germies got into my system in the first place that needs all my energy so if I burn extra calories exercising that's less energy I have to fight off the infection. Contrariwise when I do something like yoga or pilates it can boost my energy making me feel better. At least this is what I was getting and how it seems to works with me.
What I've determined for me is it's best to just listen to my body, it knows what it needs when I'm not 100% and get back into my routine when I'm feeling better.

Resources and extra reading...
 Exercising When Sick: A Good Move?
 Exercise when sick: Should you sweat it out? Or rest and recover? By Ryan Andrews
 Are you crazy for working out while sick?
 Best and Worst Exercises to Do When You Have a Cold
 Why You Shouldn't Work Out When You're Sick by Eric C. Stevens

Disclaimer: Shandy Sanford is not a: Doctor, Nutritionist, Fitness Expert, or Personal Trainer
The information, products, recommendations, etc. shared on this site are not intended to take the place of medical advice. All information contained or shared on this site is to be used at the sole discretion and sole liability of the person reading. You should always consult your doctor or appropriate healthcare professional on any matter relating to your health and well-being before taking any action of any kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Just a heads up I moderate my comments, sorry for any inconvenience.