Monday, May 16, 2016

{Book Review} Running: A Love Story: 10 Years, 5 Marathons, and 1 Life-Changing Sport by Jen A. Miller

Running: A Love Story: 10 Years, 5 Marathons, and 1 Life-Changing Sport
by Jen A. Miller
Publisher: Seal Press
Released: March 22nd 2016 by
Genre: Non-Fiction- Adult: Memoirs, Running, Love
How I got it: Received a copy from the publisher

Jen Miller has fallen in and out of love, but no man has been there for her the way running has.

In Running: A Love Story, Jen tells the story of her lifelong relationship with running with wit, thoughtfulness, and brutal honesty. Jen first laces up her sneakers in high school, when, like many people, she sees running as a painful part of conditioning for other sports. But when she discovers early in her career as a journalist that it helps her clear her mind, focus her efforts, and achieve new goals, she becomes hooked for good.

Jen, a middle-of-the-pack but tenacious runner, hones her skill while navigating relationships with men that, like a tricky marathon route, have their ups and downs, relying on running to keep her steady in the hard times. As Jen pushes herself toward ever-greater challenges, she finds that running helps her walk away from the wrong men and learn to love herself while revealing focus, discipline, and confidence she didn’t realize she had.

Relatable, inspiring, and brutally honest, Running: A Love Story, explores the many ways that distance running carves a path to inner peace and empowerment by charting one woman’s evolution in the sport.

Review: I devoured this book. It was one of those where if I wasn't reading it, I was thinking about reading it. I don't usually read this type of book, memoirs just aren't my thing, but the blurb caught my attention.
Ms Miller's story is inspiring and I could identify with many of the things she talked about. As she talked about growing up in a New Jersey suburb it took me back to growing up in small town NY, riding bikes, balling ball, etc. Following her trials and tribulations as she navigated growing up, going to college, etc I was able to relate and feel for her. I became invested in her story, wanting to know how she dealt with relationships and hardships. As a runner myself I got how she felt trying to drive away the mental pain with physical because I've been there. Her story struck a chord with me as I think it will with many women who have had turbulent lives.
I was inspired by her tenacity and dedication to running even when she felt it let her down she chose to keep at it. I enjoyed reading about how Ms Miller took something she hated at first and turned it into not only a passion but a career. I have to say that even if you don't run, hate sports and would rather curl up on the couch reading you should still get this book. It's a wonderful inspiring, heart wrenching, and powerful read.


2 comments:

  1. The best part about a book group is hearing the perspective of other people! I love what you took from this book and I'm so glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again for the recommendation!

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Just a heads up I moderate my comments, sorry for any inconvenience.