Monday, May 2, 2016

Flash Back My First 5k


I've been reading Running a Love Story and it's got me thinking back to my first 5k it was a Cancer Run two years ago, I'll link to the post I did. Breast cancer has hit our family a couple times, my grandmother, aunt and my mother. I signed up to do this run while my mom was in treatment, she is now cancer free.
Me at the end of the run
The run was on my birthday so I counted the entry fee as my b-day present that year. I was super excited to do it and also kind of overwhelmed. So many people were there and a lot of them knew each other from other races. As DK and I walked around after signing in, we ran into a couple the guy DK knew from work. They had done a bunch of races and were talking about times and stats and how they wanted to do it in a certain number of minutes. I have to admit I felt a little intimidated back then, now I get it.
I still have the bib and results from that run I came in 57th at 39:55.9. Not great but at least I wasn't dead last.
That run made me realize several things. 1) I liked running a lot. 2) Running can be a bit of a social activity and I am not a social person. 3) I wanted to do it again.
Due to life, money, and because I can't travel far to go to race, I have not been able to go out and run another race like this one. I've taken to running virtual races that I can do on my treadmill. No fear of having to interact with people, I don't have to travel, find a babysitter or deal with parking. If I had the chance would I do another real life race, not sure. There is the thrill of being with a group of people, passing some, getting passed by others, having people cheer you on. It was fun. So I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Just a heads up I moderate my comments, sorry for any inconvenience.