Friday, May 13, 2016

{Review} Protein2O

I happened to see this in the water section and grabbed a few bottles to try. I picked up Berry Splash and Wild Cherry Splash. I figured if I liked the flavors maybe I'd start drinking this during my runs/ workouts.
Each bottle has 70 calories, 15 grams of protein and electrolytes.
So let's start with the taste, it's not bad per say but it does have an unidentifiable aftertaste. This taste is something I've come across before but still can't quite put my finger on it. When you first taste it you get the berry or cherry flavor, which isn't bad kind of like a sports drink, it's after you swallow that the weird taste hangs around on your tongue.
I'm thinking this weird taste is the Hydrolean proprietary protein blend, this is the protein source for the drink, which is composed of whey protein isolate [milk], and hydrolyzed collagen. I know what whey protein isolate is but what the heck is hydrolyzed collagen? Basically it's gelatin, as in Jello. If you know what gelatin is made of then you know that this is not vegan or even vegetarian friendly. If not well I won't ruin Jello for you. The problem is there is no evidence supporting the claims behind hydrolyzed collagen. This leaves me on the fence whether or not it's actually a good source of protein.
Given all this I'm not really sure if I'll be buying this again, it's only 15 grams of protein and while it is easier to drink while working out than a protein shake, I can just as easily make up a shake with more protein and drink it after.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Just a heads up I moderate my comments, sorry for any inconvenience.