Thursday, June 23, 2016

{Book Review} The Curse of Tenth Grave (Charley Davidson #10) by Darynda Jones

The Curse of Tenth Grave (Charley Davidson #10)
by Darynda Jones
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Release: June 28th 2016
Genre: Fiction- Adult: Paranormal Mystery
How I got it: I received a copy from NetGalley

As a Part-time PI and fulltime grim reaper, Charley Davidson has asked a lot of questions throughout her life: Why can I see dead people? Who is the hot supernatural entity following me? How do I get gum out of my sister’s hair before she wakes up? But, “How do I trap not one malevolent god, but three?” was never among them. Until now. And since those gods are on earth to kill her daughter, she has little choice but to track them down, trap them, and cast them from this dimension.

There’s just one problem. One of the three stole her heart a very long time ago. Can the Razer, a god of absolute death and destruction, change his omniscient spots, or will his allegiances lie with his brothers?

Those are just a few of the questions Charley must answer, and quick. Add to that a homeless girl running for her life, an innocent man who’s been charged with murder, and a pendant made from god glass that has the entire supernatural world in an uproar, and Charley has her hands full. If she can manage to take care of the whole world-destroying-gods thing, we’re saved. If not, well…

Review: Ok so this is book 10 in the Charley Davidson series, I have read books 1-7, but when this was offered on NetGalley I jumped at the chance to read it. I know most people would have bought 8-9 first and read them in order, but eh I'm ok jumping around. Ms Jones does a good job glossing over what happened in the previous books, giving the reader enough information to understand the story, if they hadn't read the earlier books. Yet she also doesn't overwhelm the reader with every little detail. But if you don't like spoilers, read the books in order.
I love Charley's characters she is witty, brave, maybe a little foolhardy at times, but she always stands up for what she believes in. Even if it's twice her size, and will flatten her. Yet she has her faults, which endear me to this character. Yet for some reason in this book I felt something was missing, I still can't put my finger on what but her character seemed off slightly. Reyes is still hunky, over protective, over bearing, brooding... basically his character hasn't changed. When you gets these two together, if their not fighting... scratch that even if they are fighting, you get amazing fireworks.
Now my big problem with the book, I really feel that Ms Jones has jumped the shark. Charley is now a god(dess?) from another dimension and Reyes is a god from another dimension. It's like every book we have to up the ante. Personally I find the side plots much more entertaining than the craziness that is Charley's everyday. I feel these little stories are what makes the series and seem to keep getting pushed to the back burner. While the plots are still engaging, and Ms Jones is a talented writer, I find myself wondering if I'll come back to this series when the next book comes out. We were left with quite a cliffhanger, yet I'm not sure it was enough of one to draw me back in.
In the end I leave this book and series with mixed feeling as I love the characters and writing but the plots seems to be spiraling out of control.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Just a heads up I moderate my comments, sorry for any inconvenience.