Friday, November 25, 2016

Nov Runfessions- I'm only half crazy...so far!

Holy wow, Thanksgiving was yesterday and Christmas is just around the corner. Where did the year go? I'm linking up with Marcia's A Healthy Slice, for Runfessions, because I've decided to do something a little crazy. Something I said I wasn't going to do. Something I said, why
would I ever want to do that about. I said I'm happy running 5ks, and then I'm never going to run over a 10k. I just run for my (mental) health I don't need to run more than 6 miles. I don't have anything to prove, I just like running and being healthy. But secretly I'm runvious, yup. I see all these other cool bloggers running marathons, and half marathons. So I start thinking, I can do that! I can do 3 miles in under 30 mins, I can do 6 mile in under an hour so in theory 13.1 should only take what... 2 hours.
I'm being optimistic and a bit tongue in cheek here.
I get that a half marathon is a huge decision for a runner like me. It takes a lot of training and conditioning. I've actually put a lot of thought into figuring out if I really want to challenge my body with something like this and the answer is yes. I want to see if I can do it.
Locally we have a race called the 1812 Challenge and Half Marathon, it takes place in Sept. I'm thinking about registering, but I'm not sure. It's not the run itself that puts me off to registering, I'm a solo run type of gal. Sure I like running with DK but he's the exception. Being around a lot of people makes me nervous, especially if I'm by myself. Which I would be, as there is no way DK would run that far. I'd be running on the road, granted county roads... I already know the race route. Like I said it's a local race and I've been down all the roads on the course more than once. Anyway I don't run on roads, I run trails around our house and treadmill. Although since hunting season started I haven't been on the trail, stray bullets and over zealous hunters are a real thing out here. I'm kind of afraid to run on the roads. I mean have you seen the news, and then my paranoia kicks in... All this stuff goes round and round inside my head when ever I consider a real race. Maybe I'll just stick to the virtual ones, US Road Running has half marathons and marathons.
Either way I'm going to do it. I've started planning out my training plan and doing research. My Zombie's Run app has training plans which I'm going to use. I'm easing into this right now I'm doing the 10k intermediate plan and then moving up to the Half Marathon plan.
So what do you think... am I crazy? Ok I mean for doing a half marathon, I know all the other stuff is crazy talk. Any advice for a Half Marathon Virgin?


10 comments:

  1. First off, I can't run a 5k in under 30 minutes or a 10k in under an hour. Next weekend will be my 14th half. No, you're definitely not crazy and it's not as big a time commitment as you might think.

    I've actually thought about the 1812 race . . . I have a few friends that really rave about it. To see if I could go longer than 13.1 . . . although 5 more miles is a lot of miles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for saying that. I'm not sure I'm ready for anything longer than 13.1, but it's something to think about.

      Delete
  2. Im sure you will be able to do a half! As long as you progress slowly I think you will be surprised that its not quite as daunting as it sounds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could totally do a half but for your first, I wouldn't focus as much on a finish time as I would on finishing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and agreed. For my first half I'm totally just focusing on crossing the finish line.

      Delete
  4. I was in a similar place 10 years ago. I'd been running 5k and 10k for literally years and just wondered what it'd be like to do a half and full marathon. Just one. That decision was life changing. You truly don't know what you've got inside you until you take that leap and go for it. Seriously just chip away at the workouts and you'll be there before you know it. If you don't do it, you'll always wonder what might have been. GO DO IT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hugely admire runners and all the best

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can absolutely do a half marathon. It is an incredible experience and huge accomplishment to cross that finish line, no matter what your pace may be. Good luck with your training!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Just a heads up I moderate my comments, sorry for any inconvenience.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...