Tuesday, December 27, 2016

{Book Review} Marathon Woman: Running the Race to Revolutionize Women's Sports by Kathrine Switzer

Marathon Woman: Running the Race to Revolutionize Women's Sports
by Kathrine Switzer
Publisher: Carroll & Graf
Release: March 9th 2007
Genre: Non-Fiction- Adult: Running, memiors
How I got it: Bought it

Katherine Switzer ran the Boston Marathon in 1967 where she was attacked by one of the event's directors who wanted to eject her from the all-male race. She fought off the director and finished the race. From the childhood events that inspired her to winning the New York City Marathon in 1974, this liberally illustrated book details the struggles and achievements of a pioneering women in sports.


Review: This was an amazing book. I loved Ms Switzer story of how she began running and kept running all her life. She is an inspiration. Her dedication and devotion to getting women recognized not just in running but other sports is mind boggling. I found her time in Syracuse fascinating, living an hour north of the city. I was super impressed by her running those long distances in the dead of winter. Sorry you would never catch me out there.
Detailing the trials that she encountered during her running career, this book tells the untold story of the second woman to run the Boston Marathon. I found it interesting the myths surrounding women running when Ms Switzer started running. I couldn't wrap my mind around that people still believed things like a woman's ovaries would fall out if they ran farther than a few miles.
Ms Switzer's writing style was good, like talking with a friend. She shared her highs and lows, the pictures made the book offering a real feel to all the tales. I really enjoyed this book and found it inspiring.








1 comment:

  1. This book has been on my radar for a while! Sounds like a good read.

    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Just a heads up I moderate my comments, sorry for any inconvenience.