Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Don't call me a jogger!


At work we listen to the radio pretty much all day, and the DJ offered this tidbit last week... " Jogging 30 mins on the treadmill decrease stress, etc..." all those things runners already know. So one of my co-workers looks at me and goes "that's what you do jog? Your a Jogger?"
Now I'm not sure why but this struck me as insulting. A jogger? You think I just jog? So I snap back I'm a runner not a jogger.

To which he replies whats the difference? It's all the same.
Ok so maybe he's sort of right it's all the same motion, your putting one foot in front of the other and going faster than a walk. But for some reason being called a jogger seemed to imply so many things... I wasn't serious, I couldn't go fast, that I just ran for exercise... etc.
I was left with the problem of trying to explain running to a non-runner.  How do you explain the feeling you get from running? That magical moment when the world melts away and you find your bliss. The sense of accomplishment and joy when you see you've gone just a little bit faster or a little bit farther. The bad a** feeling you get when you sign up for another race.

Unfortunately I couldn't find the words and in the end basically said, a jogger runs 13 miles because it's good for them and runner goes 13 miles for fun. To which he gives me a funny look then goes back to work.

So my question to my runner readers, is how do you feel when called a jogger? Do you feel there is a difference? What do you think of my definition, right or wrong?


2 comments:

  1. Haha! Back when I was training for my marathon (2001), I was a runner. After my kids were born and I wanted to get back into shape, I was a jogger. These days, I walk, but once and a while I'll speed up my pace and jog... not run. So I get it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to know I'm not alone in thinking like this, Thanks Jen!

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Just a heads up I moderate my comments, sorry for any inconvenience.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...