{Book Review} Harley Quinn (2016-) Vol. 1: Die Laughing (Harley Quinn: Rebirth #1) by Amanda Conner, Jimmy Palmiotti, Chad Hardin (Illustrator)

Harley Quinn (2016-) Vol. 1: Die Laughing (Harley Quinn: Rebirth #1)
by Amanda Conner, Jimmy Palmiotti, Chad Hardin (Illustrator)
Publisher: DC
Release: March 21st 2017
Genre: Fiction- Teen: Graphic Novel
How I got it: NetGalley


Harley Quinn's crazy world on has gotten even more crazier when an unexpected, contagious enemy comes to town! Protecting her neighborhood just got a little harder, good thing they have chainsaws!

Amanda Conner and Jimmy Palmiotti continue their mammoth run on this New York Times best-selling title in HARLEY QUINN VOL. 1! Collects issues #1-6.

Rebirth honors the richest history in comics, while continuing to look towards the future. These are the most innovative and modern stories featuring the world's greatest superheroes, told by some of the finest storytellers in the business.

Honoring the past, protecting our present, and looking towards the future. This is the next chapter in the ongoing saga of the DC Universe.  The legacy continues.

Review:
This starts off with a recap of Harley's adventures up to this point. Then spirals into an alien induced zombie apocalypse. Which wasn't to bad, but I became frustrated. I don't like the fact that the authors are playing up the Harley and Ivy love affair. They work great together as friends, but lovers. I can't buy it. It just irritates me that suddenly Harley's gay, Ivy fine I can actually buy her as being a lesbian. There's nothing wrong with it I just don't get that feeling from Harley's character.  I also wasn't crazy about the Deadpool wannabe they brought in seriously Red Tool. I'm assuming it was a spoof, but it made me want to tear my hair out. Just because you read some fan suggested hook ups doesn't mean you need to try and make it happen.
I love the artwork and found one of the stories ok. I did like that they wrote the Penguin into one, but still the writing needs works. The plots were contrite and the stories just campy. Awesome art doesn't make up for lazy writing. Harley is this great character that is not living up to her potential. From what I can tell these are just a bunch of sex jokes, and innuendos mixed with some action. Harley Quinn is more than a walking pair of tits that can kick ass. She's a doctor, is super smart and it's never utilized. Harley acted like a dumb blond but she wasn't, sure dealing with the Joker made her bat shit crazy but she was always still Harley. These comics don't portray that, they play up to the crazy, sexualized, crap. Even the story lines play up this crap and it's getting old.





Comments