Thursday, May 4, 2017

{Book Review} Sarah by Teri Polen

Sarah
by Teri Polen
Publisher: Black Rose Writing
Released: December 1st 2016
Genre: Fiction: YA:  Horror, Paranormal
How I got it: NetGalley

Seventeen-year-old horror fan Cain Shannon thought helping a ghost find her killers would be the supernatural adventure of a lifetime. Now, he just hopes to survive long enough to protect his family and friends from her.

A bet between friends goes horribly wrong, resulting in Sarah's death. When she returns to seek justice against those responsible, Cain agrees to help her. But when he discovers Sarah has been hijacking his body, he realizes she wants retribution instead of justice.

Terrified of what could have happened when he wasn't in control, Cain commands Sarah to leave his house - but exorcising her isn't that easy. She retaliates against her murderers in bloody, horrific ways, each death making her stronger, then sets her sights on Cain. With the help of friends, Cain fights to save himself and his loved ones and searches for a way to stop Sarah before she kills again.

Review: I have to admit the cover of this book immediately caught my attention. It was creepy and fit perfect for a horror story. The plot is carried out pretty much like your standard paranormal tale. It's done well, keeping the reader entertained and engaged. I found myself on the edge of my seat once of twice, ok several times. Sarah is one of those conflicting antagonists that you feel bad for yet still want to see defeated. Her story could have been ripped straight from the current news headlines, which makes it feel more real in a way.
Cain was a good hero. I like how even though he was a jock, captain of the soccer team, he wasn't really high on the social ladder making him more relatable. I was conflicted about the romance angle though. He whined through half the book that he didn't like his current girlfriend, while flirting with another girl, yet didn't want to hurt her feeling by breaking up with her. Yet he was making dates with the other girl. In my opinion this was un-needed the whole thing only gave us one plot point, and lowered the character in my eyes.
Despite this little issue the overall plot and characters were wonderful. I really enjoyed this book and would like to see more from this author.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for such a wonderful review - I'm thrilled you enjoyed Sarah!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Just a heads up I moderate my comments, sorry for any inconvenience.