Friday, June 30, 2017

{Book Review} Teen Titans, Volume 1: Damian Knows Best

Teen Titans, Volume 1: Damian Knows Best (Teen Titans, Volume VI #1)
by Benjamin Percy (Writer), Jonboy Meyers (Artist), Jim Charalampidis (Colourist), Corey Breen (Letterer)
Publisher: DC Comics
Release: June 13th 2017
Genre:Fiction- YA: Comic, Graphic novel, superheroes
How I got it: NetGalley

As a part of DC Universe: Rebirth, the son of Batman, Damian Wayne, joins the Teen Titans!

The Teen Titans are further apart than ever before...until Damian Wayne recruits Starfire, Raven, Beast Boy and the new Kid Flash to join him in a fight against his own grandfather, Ra's al Ghul! But true leadership is more than just calling the shots--is Robin really up to the task? Or will the Teen Titans dismiss this diminutive dictator?

The team will have to figure this out fast, as a great evil from Damian's past is lurking around the corner, ready to strike at the team's newest leader and destroy the new Teen Titans before they even begin!

The newest era of one of DC's greatest super-teams begins here in Teen Titans, Volume 1: Damian Knows Best! Written by Benjamin Percy (Green Arrow) with spectacular art by newcomer Jonboy Meyers.

Collecting: Teen Titans 1-5, Rebirth

Review: I'm going to start off by saying that I'm not a fan of Damian Wayne, I find him smug, arrogant and way to full of himself. On the other hand I love the Teen Titans, so it was a trade off. Damian has some big shoes to fill as Robin both as Batman's sidekick and leader of the Teen Titans.
The books start off with Damian and his daddy issues, which spiral into who am I and alot of the plot is taken up by his whole drama. I found some of the story very reminiscent of his subplot in Justice League vs. Teen Titans facing down his grandfather, Ra's al Ghul, and coming to grips with his new role as a superhero. In my opinion there was way too much focus on Damian. When Starfire, Raven, Beast Boy and the new Kid Flash are targeted by Ra's al Ghul's forces Damian kidnaps them to save(?) them. After a big speech about fighting together or dieing alone, he takes off to face his grandfather alone. Of course the Titans come to his rescue and fighting ensues.
For me the plot was eh, I hoping for something more original and, I don't know, involving the Teen Titan's as a, you know, group. In order to end this review on a positive note I will say that I liked the artwork. I feel Mr Meyers did a good job making them slightly like the Teen Titan's animated series, but still different enough to be it's own thing.
Even though the writing fell a little flat, I'm still interested in seeing how Damian under the guidance of the Titan's will grow. The series has potential, let's see if the writers will run with or not.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Just a heads up I moderate my comments, sorry for any inconvenience.