Please bear with us as we undergo some reconstruction.

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

{Review} Heat Wave (Nikki Heat #1) by Richard Castle

Heat Wave (Nikki Heat #1)
by Richard Castle
Publisher: Hyperion
Released: September 29th 2009
Genre: Fiction- Adult: Suspense
How I Got it: Purchased the book

A New York real estate tycoon plunges to his death on a Manhattan sidewalk. A trophy wife with a past survives a narrow escape from a brazen attack. Mobsters and moguls with no shortage of reasons to kill trot out their alibis. And then, in the suffocating grip of a record heat wave, comes another shocking murder and a sharp turn in a tense journey into the dirty little secrets of the wealthy. Secrets that prove to be fatal. Secrets that lay hidden in the dark until one NYPD detective shines a light.

Mystery sensation Richard Castle, blockbuster author of the wildly best-selling Derrick Storm novels, introduces his newest character, NYPD Homicide Detective Nikki Heat. Tough, sexy, professional, Nikki Heat carries a passion for justice as she leads one of New York City's top homicide squads. She's hit with an unexpected challenge when the commissioner assigns superstar magazine journalist Jameson Rook to ride along with her to research an article on New York's Finest. Pulitzer Prize-winning Rook is as much a handful as he is handsome. His wise-cracking and meddling aren't her only problems. As she works to unravel the secrets of the murdered real estate tycoon, she must also confront the spark between them. The one called heat.

Review: I bought Heat Wave strictly because I love ABC's Castle.
Basically the book reads like an episode of the show. The problem with this is the characters didn't have enough depth. Heat is a mirror image of Beckett, which is ok because she's supposed to be based on Beckett. But some differences would have been nice. For about half the book the attraction between Heat and Rook is good, then disappears then suddenly their in bed. Which just kind of messed with your head, not really farther the book. I didn't really feel they gave enough clues through the book, though at least not for me. Usually I can figure out who did it, but not this time.
I think if your a fan of the show then you'll like it as a supplement to the series. I did think it was fun picking out what was in the show and also in the book. But if your really into crime fiction then don't bother.


2 comments:

  1. I read this one a while ago, I confess I don't remember a lot of it, but I'm curious to read the second to know how it is, if it improves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have books 2 & 3 in my TBR pile I hope to get to them soon. I'm curious as well.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Just a heads up I moderate my comments, sorry for any inconvenience.