Please bear with us as we undergo some reconstruction.

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

{Book Review} Perseverance by James Lacey

Perseverance
by James Lacey 
Publisher: 23 House
Released: September 13th 2012
Genre: Fiction- Adult: horror, post-apocalyptic, zombies
How I got it: I was send a review copy via the author

I am a teacher. At least I was before it all happened, before I was forced to survive. I taught social studies at the high school. I was also the coach of the school's successful debate team. It was a cold Saturday in January when I heard the first rumor of trouble .... You know, pop culture had defined the zombie apocalypse time and time again, all coming from the minds of horror writers, film producers, and video game designers. Who knew when it really happened, it wouldn't be anything like they all predicted. Oh sure, the dead reanimated, and they were certainly hungry for living flesh ... but what were the myserious red eyes, zombies that moved faster than their stumbling counterparts and seemed to not only communicate, but to exert some kind of control over the others. More than that, though, strange things were beginning to happen to me. My body was changing, and I hadn't been infected - at least, one of those creatures hadn't bitten or scratched me. A high school social studies teacher might be the least likely survivor of the end of the world, but it was becoming increasingly apparent that if I was going to save my girlfriend and myself, I was going to have a fight on my hands. It seemed that at the end of civilization, the living could be just as dangerous as the dead. ...

Review: Kind of refreshing from the same old zombie stuff. Perseverance starts off like most zombie books, yet takes some twists later on.
One weird thing and I never even caught it until writing this review is the main character doesn't seem to have a name. Amazingly I was so sucked into the book that I never noticed. Anyway I found myself pulled along on his and his girlfriend Ashley's fight for survival in a world hell bent on killing them. Not only do they have to basically survive, but they have to fight off zombies while doing it. These are not just the slow shambling kind but also a different level of zombie which they refer to as red eyes. The red eyes are fast, strong and smart. As the book progresses it's not just the undead that are predators in this new world. The living can be just as bad.
The book is very fast paced and there is very little down time, between attacks and edge of your seat wondering what was going to happen. The transformation from Social Studies teacher to basically soldier happens over the coarse of the book and I didn't even think about it as things progressed. It sort of merges with the other changes he's going through which for me took center stage. There are some decent secondary characters but the only ones who are really fleshed out are Ashley and Chris in my opinion. The only thing that bugged me was there was a lot of usless information floating through the book, stuff that didn't help the plot and I flet could have been trimmed. Yet over all it was engaging and interesting.


 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the Review! I hope your readers check out my website and give the book a read! -JL

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Just a heads up I moderate my comments, sorry for any inconvenience.