Please bear with us as we undergo some reconstruction.

Monday, April 1, 2013

It's Monday!!


The days are getting longer and WARMER! Yay! Since it's the first day of April it actually feels like Spring is on it's way. 

This week wasn't as good as last week and I totally didn't start the books I wanted to. I decided review books needed to take priority. My daughter was sick all week and in an effort to keep her entertained, I did a dumb thing, and downloaded a game to our kindles. The kids have become addicted to it so they keep highjacking my kindle, my son because he doesn't have one and my daughter when her battery dies. So when I get it back the battery's dead. Which means reading on that has been a challenge.
In other news my hubby got laid off, and this week the oldest is on vacation. She is also feeling better, of course this means we will be running the roads, weather permitting, and possibly hiking. If so I might have pics for next Monday. But it will not be reading productive, on to...













Welcome to It’s Monday! What Are You Reading! 
Hosted by Sheila @ Book Journey
&
The YA version
Hosted by Jen and Kelly @ Teach Mentor Text
 
Currently Reading...

 (Still Reading. This is on my kindle, so I haven't been able to read this one.) UnEnchanted (An Unfortunate Fairy Tale #1) by Chanda Hahn 
Mina Grime is unlucky, unpopular and uncoordinated, that is until she saves her crush's life on a field trip, changing her High School status from loser to hero overnight. But with her newfound fame brings misfortune as an old family curse come to light. For Mina is descended from the Brothers Grimm and has inherited all of their unfinished fairy tale business. Which includes trying to outwit a powerful Story from making her its next fairytale victim. To break the fairy tale curse on her family and stop these deadly events, Mina must finish the tales until the very Grimm end.





(Also on Kindle, so little head way has been made, but this may end up a DNF, I'm having some trouble pushing through it.)
The Z Word (Apocalypse Babes #1)by Bella Street Book One of Apocalypse Babes
The Z Word, follows Seffy Carter and her longtime friends Gareth, Addison and Lani. The four besties share a past dysfunctional and dark enough to keep them bound together under do-over identities. But like off-brand velour, rends develop in their relationships from the flesh-eating pressures of ending up in 1980, in a Montana desert, surrounded by zombies wearing dated disco duds.

(ARC on kindle as well and priority since it's for a review.) Eternally Devoted (Frostbite, #4) by Stacey Kennedy
Tess Jennings, who has been gifted with the ability to see ghosts, struggles to help the Grand Master of the Animus, Alexander, cross over. She might even have discovered who murdered him, but she has no way to prove it.
Adding to her pile of failures, Tess must accept a harsh reality—she has officially run out of time. The closer she gets to an answer to save her ghost lover, Kipp McGowen, the more she’s realizing she’s been searching for an answer she didn’t want to find.
Tess will have to make difficult choices, and her decisions will lead to consequences she cannot predict. Will Kipp finally take a living breath again, or will Tess take her last and join him in the Netherworld forever?

(Just started, hoping I can push through the rest of this series only one more book after this. Kind of eager to see what happens.) Wicked Circle (Persephone Alcmedi #5) by Linda Robertson The fifth in the exciting urban fantasy series featuring Persephone Alcmedi, a modern-day witch with a sexy werewolf boyfriend. Persephone Alcmedi has helped her waerewolf lover Johnny unlock his powers. Now she must come to the aid of Menessos, the vampire overlord she has secretly marked. Beset by a trio of truth-seeking vampire sisters so dangerous their own kind keep them confined in stone, he now needs her more than ever...and she realizes her need for him. Seph has magical promises to fulfill for the waeres, multiple mundane family challenges to meet, vampire politics to confront, both the supernatural males in her life to balance, a dragon to deal with...and then a government investigator shows up to complicate matters.

(Just started due for review soon) Dead Peasants: A Thriller by Larry D. Thompson Veteran trial lawyer Larry D. Thompson has decades of courtroom experience in his home state of Texas on controversial and important trials. Now, in Dead Peasants, Thompson has delivered a fast-moving and suspenseful legal thriller featuring a retired lawyer whose life gets turned upside down when a stranger asks for help. Jack Bryant, exhausted after a high-profile career as a lawyer, takes an early retirement in Fort Worth, Texas, where he plans to kick back, relax, and watch his son play football at TCU. But then an elderly widow shows up with a check for life insurance benefits and that is suspiciously made payable to her dead husband’s employer, Jack can’t turn down her pleas for help and files a civil suit to collect the benefits rightfully due the widow. A chain of events that can’t be stopped thrusts Jack into a vortex of killings, and he and his new love interest find themselves targets of a murderer. Gripping, engaging, and written with the authority that only a seasoned lawyer could possess, Dead Peasants is a legal thriller that will stun and surprise you.

Finished:
On the agenda: I'm going to focus on the books I'm reading now and getting reviews out. I have four waiting to be written.  

12 comments:

  1. A lay off! How scary! I hope he finds something else soon and you guys are okay in the meantime.

    I read Miss Peregrine last month and enjoyed it. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen, We should be good for a while. Miss Peregrine was good.

      Delete
  2. Hi there Shandy, these are all unfamiliar titles to me. I'm glad I dropped by. Have a great reading week ahead of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel for your husband. My husband has been off work from a work injury, been getting less and less money from workman's comp and finally the place of employment played a nasty trick on him. They send his lawyer a letter about a work offer that he had thirty days to respond to.
    The lawyer assumed his letter was a copy. They never sent my husband a copy, saying they expected the lawyer to forward. (since when?). Then they fired him for not responding. Dirty Pool. On the upside, he ended up getting control of his retirement fund that he'd been putting $$ into for the 13 years he was working, and reinvested, then put some in savings. Still, his pride was hurt. I hope your husband is able to get back to work soon - some men have a hard time being laid off or unemployed. Good luck to him.

    I'm able to read my Kindle while it's charging, as long as there's enough charge in it to turn on, start a book and then plug in to wall. You might have to resort to hiding your kindle, though. heehee. Good luck with that, also. :)

    The Unenchanted sounds quirky. Hope you enjoy.

    My Reading Week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is just disgraceful, yet I could totally see my husbands ex-boss doing it. They like to mess with his unemployment by laying him off for a week then calling him back for a couple then laying him off again. He can't refuse either because then he'd lose the unemployment. I'm sorry you and your husband had to deal with that. I hope things are better now.
      As for the kindle I may have to do the reading while it's plugged in, although hiding it might be a better option. :) Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
    2. Boy, some bosses and companies can be evil, can't they? They all have to pay into the unemployment fund - I don't see why they feel they have to mess with people on that. My son's former boss straight up lied to the unemployment board just so he couldn't get it. He worked at a bar and they said that he was drinking on the job. He rarely drinks. Luckily, a lot of the patrons liked him, so they wrote letters saying he never took a drink - so he was able to fight, appealed the decision and ended up getting unemployment. Turns out this particular bar routinely denies and fights everyone's claims. Crazy world, isn't it?

      Good luck to your hubby!

      Delete
    3. Jeez that is underhanded. I'm glad he was able to get his unemployment. Yes it's a crazy world.

      Delete
  4. UnEnchanted as well as Dead Peasants sounds pretty interesting to me. I look forward to the review on the latter.
    I do wonder how you felt about Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.. I read that earlier on in the year and had mixed feelings once I came to the end.
    I hope you enjoy your reads :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jade, Like you I had mixed feeling about the end. I'll be posting a review, if my schedule permits, around the end of the month. But I will say it was something different to read and I'm glad I bought it.

      Delete
  5. Quite a few new-to-me titles. Hope there's good news soon on the work front for hubby. Have a great week, happy reading and enjoy the hiking :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Just a heads up I moderate my comments, sorry for any inconvenience.